“Get him out!” Ex-Chelsea Star Slams ‘Bad Apple’ Cristiano Ronaldo. Former Chelsea midfielder Craig Burley has encouraged Manchester United to break ties with Cristiano Ronaldo, slamming the Portuguese superstar.
Ronaldo, 37, is said to have begged United to let him leave if a decent offer comes in this summer. Many have argued that the five-time Ballon d’Or winner should be released, citing his enormous £500,000-a-week salary. Burley lambasted Cristiano and urged Manchester United to get rid of their prized player.
“[Apparently] there will be a few tears shed in the Manchester United dressing room if Cristiano Ronaldo leaves… Really? Trust me, the only tears shed will be from fans at the fact that half of these wannabes are at the club.” he said on ESPNC.
Ronaldo had a strong first season back at Manchester United, scoring 24 goals in 39 appearances across all competitions. The Portuguese forward previously left United in 2009 for Real Madrid in a then-world record £80 million deal.
Burley mentioned his return last summer, implying that Ronaldo could be disappointed by the decline in quality at the club since he left in 2009.
‘The fact that he allegedly was a bit divisive last year on arrival at the club, I think that’s merely down to the fact that the standards were awful. I can understand that frustration. I think Manchester United have to get him out. He’s not the future. You can’t have a bad apple, a divisive player and one that doesn’t want to be there.”
Burley finished by suggesting that the Red Devils must find a method to get the 37-year-old out of Old Trafford. He continued:
“You have new management, trying to build some new foundations. You can’t have that player. They’re going to have to find a way to get him out. The biggest mistake he made was walking into the club 12 months ago thinking they were moving forward.”
— E-Radio.US (@eRadioUS) July 4, 2022